Circular hike from Ban Doi Pui to the summit of Doi Pui
This is a high altitude, slow paced, hike over varied terrain. We shall start the 8.6 km hike from the Hmong Tourist village of Ban Doi Pui which is beyond the Bhuping Palace and at an altitude of 1,268 metres. The early part of the hike will be around 1,300 metres altitude and the actual ascent of the peak will be 1.6 km uphill rising about 330 metres near to the summit of Doi Pui. We shall pause for rest and refuelling at the Queen’s picnic spot at about 1,660 metres. Then we climb the remaining 40 metres and reach the summit of Doi Pui which is shown on the map to be at 1,697 metres. Sadly there is no view from this peak. From the peak we descend gently along a forest trail and for a short distance on the road that is closed to traffic. From the Doi Pui check point we walk down the road with traffic for about 400 metres until we turn to the right onto a forest trail. This trail is carpeted with pine needles and dry leaves and can be quite slippery in places. We will emerge into the village via a new forest track that avoids the Temple area and its long staircase. Most of the hike will be in the shade of the forest and we expect to be back in the village by 14:00 hours.
We will :
- meet at the arboretum at 07:50 and at 08:00 will go by song taew up to Ban Doi Pui.
- walk through part of the village, pay 10 bt as we leave the village alongside the garden
- walk about 3 kms through forest with a few up and downs as we negotiate the mostly dry stream beds.
- hike another 1.6 km or so uphill through forest and reach picnic spot near the summit of Doi Pui (altitude 1,660m).
- rest and relax near the summit and have our picnic lunch and refreshments
- go up to the summit and pause for the photo session beside the altitude notice.
- return to Ban Doi Pui through the shady forest.
- ride in a Song Taew back to the Arboretum. (please expect to pay up to 150 bt)
If you want to join
Just turn up on time at the meeting place on the day.
This time we will meet at 07:50 in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, snacks and picnic lunch
- good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and sunblock
- money for garden and song taew – small change please
- energy, enthusiasm and a good sense of humour.
Filed under: All posts