Our hike this Sunday is all at higher altitudes and we expect to have much clearer and cooler air than Chiang Mai City. We start from the Camp Site at an altitude of about 1,500 metres and climb to nearly 1,700 metres at the summit of Doi Pui. Then we descend gradually until we reach the Temple area at around 1,000 metres. It is a 14 km hike, some uphill from the Camp Site to the summit of Doi Pui and then mainly downhill and suitable for most of us. The descent from the Summit has some steep sections strewn with pine needles that need caution. It will be a fairly sedately paced hike on wide well trodden trails.
We can partake of refreshments at Coffee Shops in the Hmong Tribal village of Ban Khun Chang Khian. We are likely to take a lunch break during the hike of 9 kms from the village to the Temple on Doi Suthep. From the Temple area we return by Song Taew to the Arboretum. Please expect fares of up to 150 Bhat return for each person.
There is another hike on the same day.
Hike Leader: Janet
If you want to join
Just turn up, on time, at the meeting place on the day.
Meeting Place and Time
This time we will meet at 07:50 for 08:00 hours departure by Song Taew in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- Bring around 1.5-2 liters of water or more and snacks
- Good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant, sunblock and rain gear
- Plenty of energy and good humour
If by chance it is raining heavily we will probably cancel the hike. But in the case of lighter rain if it looks like the weather might clear up we will probably go ahead with the hike and brave the rain which will at least cool us down.
Filed under: All posts