Huay Chang Khian, Huay Mae Yuak loop
This is the Huay Chang Khian – Huay Mae Yuak loop which Mike B led on 5th February, but in an anticlockwise direction this time. The 380m altitude gain is therefore a little more gradual, though still uphill for over 4.5 kms, and probably two hours, but then with a much steeper descent over 2.5 kms, a total distance of around 7 kms. A few stream crossings and narrow stony/ash-covered paths above sharp drops need to be negotiated. A reasonable level of fitness and agility is required. There may be an alternative hike the same day. We will walk at a moderate pace, probably taking around 4 hrs in total, including snack break. If we are very lucky we may see the porcupines I met on this route one Sunday.
There is another hike on the same day.
We will :
A very rough map of the loop from memory is shown below;
no GPS readings available.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming.
We will meet before 8 am where Huay Chang Khian meets Soi Chang Khian, just before the scout camp at the end of the soi.
- Head out from the moat NW towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaew Rd.
- Turn right onto the Irrigation Canal Rd opposite the Phucome Hotel.
- Take the second soi, at the next traffic lights just after 711, before Fine Thanks, then right at the t-junction onto Soi Chang Khian.
- Continue along the main soi, bearing left at the mini roundabout, for over 2 kms, almost to the end of the soi.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
Please bring :
- at least 1-2 litres of water, and energy snacks
- strong, enclosed boots/footwear, hat, and sunblock
- trekking pole or stick recommended for the steep climb and descent
- long sleeves/pants recommended for long grass and spiky/itchy undergrowth
- plenty of energy, enthusiasm and good humour
If it rains
If it is raining heavily in the morning we will probably cancel the hike. But in the case of lighter rain if it looks like the weather might clear up we will probably go ahead with the hike and brave the rain which will at least cool us down.
Filed under: All posts