This is an easy paced 13.3 km hike at high level. We start at the Barrier below Doi Pui (1,535 metres) and walk up the road about three km rising a mere 160 metres to reach the summit at 1,697 metres.
Here we have a short break for photos and water before beginning the descent. The early part is a bit steep in places and there’s not much to hold onto so sliding down is sometimes a preferred option. We drop about 300 metres over 2 km to reach the Hmong Tribal Village of Ban Khun Chang Khian where the villagers are sometimes proud to show off their costumes, archery and other skills. We may have a short Coffee Break in the village Coffee shop .
From the village we hike downhill (more down than up!) and descend nearly 300 metres over about 9 km to reach the Temple on Suthep. On the way down we rest at fiveways junction for our picnic lunch.
After arrival at the Temple we return to Chiang Mai by Song Taew. Please expect the up and down fares to be up to 150 bt depending on our numbers.
- meet at the arboretum at 7:50 and go by song taew (please expect to pay up to 150 bt) to the Doi Pui Barrier.
- walk up the road about 3 km to the summit of Doi Pui.
- pause for photos and water
- descend along a ridge, the early part of which is a bit steep to reach the junction where the Hmong Tribal Village Ban Khun Chang Khian lies on our right.
- may visit the village for a little while and perhaps a Coffee Break.
- may walk over to the Plantation Coffee Shop
- Hike downhill from the village (more down than up!) and descend nearly 300 metres over about 9 km to reach the Temple on Suthep. On the way down we rest at fiveways junction for our picnic lunch.
- will have been hiking at a leisurely pace mainly under the forest canopy.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. We cannot accomodate groups.
This time we will meet at 7:50 am in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
Please bring :
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, snacks and lunch
- good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and sunblock
- enthusiasm, energy and a sense of humour
Filed under: All posts