There is another more strenuous hike on Sunday 10th June.
We will assemble at the Arboretum at 07:50 for an 08:00 hours departure by Song Taew to the hike starting point. Please note that latecomers may be excluded if numbers have been agreed with the Song Taew drivers.
We shall start hiking where the Pa Nguep trail comes out on the 1004 road, taking the trail as it continues on the North East side of the road. Also known as the “middle trail” as it follows the ridge above the one we use from Wang Bua Ban and below the Monthatan trail.This trail comes out at the 5 ways junction, but there is a bit of a shortcut which brings us out on the trail back toward the temple just before reaching 5 ways. This is also the narrower trail which one can take from 5 ways all the way down to the road. For the most part the gradient is steady uphill with a couple steep places and some almost level. We may see lots of mushrooms.
We estimate it will take 4-5 hours for us to arrive at the temple on Doi Suthep from where we shall take public transport to return to the city.
- meet at the arboretum at 7:50 and, at 08:00, go by song taew to the hike starting point and later return from the Temple. (please expect to pay up to 100 bt).
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. We cannot accomodate groups.
This time we will meet at 7:50 am in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
Please bring :
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, snacks and lunch
- good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and sunblock
- enthusiasm, energy and a sense of humour
If it rains
If it is raining heavily in the morning we will probably cancel the hike. But in the case of lighter rain if it looks like the weather might clear up we will probably go ahead with the hike and brave the rain which will at least cool us down.
Filed under: All posts |