Hike from Ban Doi Pui to Doi Pha Kha and back.
We will meet at the arboretum at 07:50 to leave at 8am, hiring a song tao to take us to the starting point and wait for us when we return. This hike is not difficult and will be paced according to the needs of the group. We are seeking to avoid leeches and slippery trails during this wet season, and hope there will be enough hikers interested to split the cost of public transport without undue expense for any one. Although much of the hike is on level paths, there are a few relatively steep climbs involved, which means they will be equally steep descents on the return trip.
We shall start the 8 km hike from the Hmong Tourist village of Ban Doi Pui which is beyond the Bhuping Palace and at an altitude of 1,268 metres. Most of the hike will be around 1,300 metres altitude and much will be in the shade of the forest. The actual ascent of the peak will be 1.1 km uphill rising 240 metres to the summit of Doi Pa Kha 1,539 metres and then we shall have to come down a bit steep and slippery on the pine needles over the same distance and dropping around 250 metres. The view from the peak is breathtaking on a clear day. If all goes well we shall have our picnic on the rocks at the summit where there is limited shade.
Estimated time for this hike is 4 hours, which should bring us back to Ban Doi Pui at 1pm. We can enjoy a drink there before returning to the arboretum at 2-2:30. Bring around 150 baht for transport and entrance fee to the garden at Ban doi Pui. In the event of unremitting rain the hike will be postponed to the following week.
We will :
- meet at the arboretum at 07:50 and at 08:00 will go by song taew up to Ban Doi Pui.
- walk through part of the village, pay 10 bt as we leave the village alongside the garden
- walk about 3 kms through forest with a few up and downs as we negotiate the mostly dry stream beds.
- hike another kilometre or so uphill through forest and reach the summit of Doi Pa Kha (altitude 1,539m) and hope we have good clear views of the surrounding countryside.
- rest and relax at the summit and have our picnic lunch and refreshments
- descend from the summit by a slightly different trail and join our original track.
- return to Ban Doi Pui through the forest.
- ride in a Song Taew back to the Arboretum. (please expect to pay up to 150 bt)
If you want to join
Just turn up on time at the meeting place on the day.
This time we will meet at 07:50 in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, snacks and picnic lunch
- good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and sunblock
- energy, enthusiasm and a good sense of humour.
Filed under: All posts