From the 700 Year Stadium to Huay Tung Tao and back.
This is a fairly level hike, from the dam at the 700 Year Stadium across to Huay Tung Tao and back. It is about 8-9 km. rounds trip and should take about 4 hours from start to finish. We will meet at the arboretum at 08:30 so that we can share transport there and back, but any who prefer to meet at the starting point at the 700 Yr. Stadium at 09:00 hours may do so. We will use the path around the left of the reservoir both coming and going. This has a few short ups and downs, but it is shady and easy to find our way. Once at the lake we will eat at a restaurant, and any who would like to swim may do so.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day.
This time we will meet before 08:30 hours in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
The Arboretum (otherwise known as Suan Luukachaat Huay Kaeow or Huay Kaeow Excercise park) is out along Huay Kaeow Rd.
- From the moat driving out along Huay Kaeow Rd you will immediately pass Kad Suan Kaeow shopping mall on the left.
- Go straight on through the first big intersection Amari Rincombe intersection.
- Go straight on further past the Phucombe intersection (you will see a dunkin doughnut on the corner).
- Go past the front entrance to Chiang Mai University.
- After less than a kilometre you will see a small park on your left. This is the arboretum.
- We meet at the car park just after the arboretum, well before Chiang Mai Zoo. It is a small car park, at the back there are some food stalls, away from the road. We meet about 10 meters in from the road.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
We will start at 09:00 am from the car park at the South Western end of the dam behind the 700 years Stadium.
- Head straight out from the North West corner of the moat 2 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road (H.1004).
- Turn right onto the Canal Road H.121
- After 4.5 km going North turn left at traffic lights into the Stadium area.
- Keep straight for about 1 km and pass through the check point after which the road goes uphill to reach the dam.
Please bring :
- around 1.5-2 litres of water or more and snacks – NB: we plan to have lunch at a restaurant.
- good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and sunblock
- umbrella or raincoat in case of rain.
- lots of energy, good humour and enthusiasm
Filed under: All posts