Up the gorge at Op Khan National Park
The hike at Op Khan is not a long one, only taking about an 1- 1 1/2 hours each way, but worth spending much more time enjoying the beauty of the gorge. The trail is generally easy to follow though has many places where the footing is tricky and crosses many ravines, some with steep descents or old wooden bridges. The sections close to the river involve climbing on large boulders. When we reach the destination, beside the river, we will eat lunch and there will be opportunity to wade or even swim if swimmers can find a safe spot to do so.
Because the gorge is far southwest of the city, about 17-18 km, we will meet at a different location than usual so that hikers can share transportation. We will gather at 7:50am for an 8am start at the parking lot of the Chiang Mai Art Museum which is on the NW corner of Nimmanhaemin and Suthep Roads. Estimated time of return is 2pm. If you have questions you are welcome to call me at 087-1808040.
This is a good photo opportunity, so bring your camera if you have one.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. We cannot accommodate groups.
- Dogs are not allowed in the Park
This time we will meet at 7:50 am in the car park of the Chiang Mai Art Museum
- Head straight out from the moat along Suthep Road.
- Pass Wat Suan Dok, Thanon Si Wichai and Thep Sathat Road on your left
- Turn right into Nimmana Haeminda Road.
- Turn left into the vehicle parking area.
See the map below (click to enlarge it).
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, snacks and lunch
- rain wear, umbrella in case of need
- good footwear etc. hat, insect repellant and sunblock
- 100-150 baht for your drive
- enthusiasm, energy and a sense of humour
Filed under: All posts