Huay Tung Tao up to Dtat Mork Waterfall circular
Janet’s short jaunt to a beautiful waterfall, Dtat Mork, at Huay Tung Thao, and then around the lake. We will meet at the arboretum at 8:20 for an 8:30 start, carpooling out to the lake. For those who would rather meet at the lake, be there by the big Buddha at 9:00. We will walk up to the waterfall, stop for snacks there, and then come back down by another route, continuing around the lake until we come to a nice restaurant to eat lunch. Be aware that there is a 20 baht charge to come into Huay Tung Tao, and if you get a ride there that you should help your driver with fuel costs.
Hike Leader: Janet
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. We cannot accommodate groups.
Meeting Place: Huay Kaeow Arboretum (Option 1)
This time we will meet at 8:20 am in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
Golden Buddha Next to Huay Tung Thao Lake at 9:00 am (Option 2).
We will meet at the Golden Buddha, which is next to Huay Tung Thao, at 9:00 am.
Huay Tung Thao is 12 km out of town from the North East corner of the moat.
- Driving around the outside of the moat turn left onto Huay Kaeow Rd after the Chiang Mai Ram Hospital. This is the road running out from the NE corner of the moat.
- You will pass Central Kad Suan Kaeow after about 100 m on the left.
- Drive on through the Amari Rincomb intersection, to the Phucombe intersection. The Phucombe intersection is the second major 4 way, traffic lighted, intersection, it is 2 km from the moat.
- Turn right onto the Canal Road (Route 121) and keep going for 6.8 km.
- You will see a sign for the turn off for the Huay Tung Thao lake on the left. Turn left.
- Continue for 2.2 km to the lake. Pay 20 Baht per person at the toll booth.
- When you get to the lake turn left and go around the lake for another 1.1 km.
- You will see the large standing Buddha. We will meet near there. You made it!
See also map below :
Please bring :
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more and snacks (we plan to have lunch at a restaurant)
- rain wear, umbrella in case of rain or hot sun
- good footwear etc. hat, insect repellant and sunblock
- enthusiasm, energy and a sense of humour
Filed under: All posts