Up the north face of Doi Pui
This is a high level circular walk starting and ending at the Khun Chang Khian checkpoint. Estimated length of the hike is 10 km. taking a time of 4-5 hours with breaks. We will meet at the arboretum at 7:50 for an 8 o'clock start, hiring a song tao to take us to the starting point and picking us up at the end. The first leg of the hike is about 4 km. all on the road and along to the CMU coffee shop, where we will have a brief stop for coffee before moving on past the entrance to Ban Khun Chang Khian and walking up the north face on Doi Pui. (It has been a long time since we have done this, and for those who have not experienced this trail, please be prepared for a steep climb.) There are some lovely views on the route, and we have never encountered leeches here either. We will plan to stop to eat our pack lunches either along the trail at a view point or at the area with the giant picnic tables. From here we will walk back down along the road to the checkpoint, avoiding the top of Doi Pui and the possibility of leeches along the way.
Hike Leader: Janet
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. We cannot accommodate groups.
Meeting Place: Huay Kaeow Arboretum
This time we will meet at 7:50 am in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
Please bring :
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more and snacks (we plan to visit the Coffee Shop)
- rain wear, umbrella in case of rain or hot sun
- 150-200 baht for transport and coffee
- good footwear etc. hat, insect repellant and sunblock
- enthusiasm, energy and a sense of humour
Filed under: All posts