Janet and friends jaunt in the forest above the Sports Complex
This is a circular hike above the 700 year stadium and reservoir area, taking about 4 hours through hardwood forest and including a small waterfall. It is a new hike for the group, one which a few of us have just explored and would like to show you.
We start out at the 700 year stadium reservoir, and the first hour and a half is uphill, much on a gradual incline, but steep in places. On the way we pass a small but lovely waterfall. In the course of the hike we cross a stream several times, so there is a possibility of getting wet feet if you are not good at leaping. Because there is also much undergrowth in places, long pants are a good idea. After reaching a level area we begin to circle back, coming down again to the stream, crossing it and climbing up another ridge where we meet a trail turning back towards the waterfall. If we make good time we should be back at the waterfall in time to enjoy our picnic lunch there before returning to the cars.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day and on time.
We cannot accommodate groups.
This time we will meet at 08:20 am for an 8:30 start in the car park at the South Western end of the dam behind the 700 years Stadium Sports Complex.
- Head straight out from the North West corner of the moat 2 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road (H.1004).
- Turn right onto the Canal Road H.121
- After 4.5 km going North turn left at traffic lights into the Stadium area.
- Keep straight for about 1 km
- Beware of the “sleeping policemen”
- pass through the check point after which the road goes uphill to reach the dam.
Please bring :
- around 1.5-2 litres of water or more, snacks, lunch
- good footwear etc. hat, insect repellant and sunblock
- rain gear, long pants
- lots of energy, good humour and enthusiasm
Photos made by Chan on the exploratory hike
Filed under: All posts