Doi Pa Kha plus Buddha’s Footprint
This is a shorter hike than last week’s, which I would estimate as around 8-9 km., with an uphill challenge just before lunch. We will hire a Songtao to take us to the starting point at Ban Doi Pui and pick us up there at the end, which should cost no more than 180 baht each. From there we walk through a beautiful garden (10 baht entrance fee) and continue on a dirt track above the garden, taking a well cared for trail off it through the forest. Along the way we may observe sites where the Hmong bury their dead under a pile of rocks. We will work our way gradually upward until near the top of Doi Pa Kha the trail becomes quite steep and then comes out on a large outcropping of rocks where we will eat our lunch. From here we have long views across a valley with distant mountain ranges, or looking the other way we can see the north face of Doi Pui. Continuing along the top of the ridge we can visit the very small shrine to the Buddha’s footprint. The return trip is by the same route with options of spending more time at the garden and enjoying a drink in the village.
We will :
- meet at the arboretum at 07:50 and at 08:00 will go by song taew up to Ban Doi Pui.
- walk through part of the village, pay 10 bt as we leave the village alongside the garden
- walk about 3 kms through forest with a few up and downs as we negotiate the mostly dry stream beds.
- hike another kilometre or so uphill through forest and reach the summit of Doi Pa Kha (altitude 1,539m) and hope we have good clear views of the surrounding countryside.
- rest and relax at the summit and have our picnic lunch and refreshments
- along the top of the ridge we can visit the very small shrine to the Buddha’s footprint
- descend from the summit by a slightly different trail and join our original track.
- return to Ban Doi Pui through the forest.
- ride in a Song Taew back to the Arboretum. (please expect to pay up to 180 bt)
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day and on time.
We cannot accommodate groups.
This time we will meet at 07:50 in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, snacks and picnic lunch
- small money for transport and garden fee
- good footwear etc. hat, rain wear, insect repellent and sun-block
- energy, enthusiasm and a good sense of humour.
Filed under: All posts |