Here is a hike which has a beautiful destination and is not too difficult for those hoping for something less challenging. The only real challenge is the final descent to the base of the upper waterfall on a steep and often slippery trail. (We have never found a way to get to the lower waterfall so only look over the edge of its top.) For those who like to go in the water, either to wade or get under a waterfall, both are a possibility here.
The main trail is a wide dirt track, mostly exposed to the sun and a steady climb, so good to bring a hat. We will return on the same track, where we have lovely views of the mountains, to the starting point. I would estimate the length of the round trip as about 11 km. taking 4-5 hours including lunch at the waterfall.
Meeting point: in front of Fondcome Vilage Resort, which is on the Samoeng Rd. about 3 km. west of the Samoeng intersection (Canal Rd. and the outer ring road). Fondcome is on the right side of the road and has quirky looking roofs, so easy to spot. We will gather there and carpool to the entrance to the trail, where there is very limited parking. When we return there is the option of eating at the Fondcome restaurant and swimming in their pool.
Meeting time: 8:20 for an 8:30 start
Hike Leader: Janet
This time we will meet at 08:20 hours for an 8:30 start at the Fondcome Village Resort on the Samoeng Road (1269).
- From the Phucombe Junction of the Canal Road and Huay Kaew Road (121/1004) drive/ride south for c. 9.3 km
- At the junction of the Canal Road (121) and the Samoeng Road (1269) turn right and go west.
- The Fondcome Village Resort is on the right hand side after about 3 km
- Please note that parking inside the Park entrance is very limited and drivers who share their vehicles will have priority.
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, snacks and lunch
- good footwear, swimwear etc. hat, insect repellent and sunblock
- lots of energy, enthusiasm and good humour
Filed under: All posts |