This will be a circular hike starting at the Khun Chang Khian check point and down a forest trail to Ban Doi Pui.
We pass through a different part of the village than usual, continue out through the garden area to the trail which leads to Doi Pa Kha, but then turning right off it to climb up a rather steep trail to the road just below Doi Pui summit. From there we can take an excursion to the summit and then have lunch at the “giant picnic table” area before returning to the starting point. I would estimate the distance as no more than 10 km. and taking around 4 hours. Expect to be back at the arboretum about 2pm.
Plan: meet 7:50 at the arboretum for an 8am departure. If there are enough drivers we will car pool to the check point. Otherwise we will arrange songtao transport there and back.
Hike Leader: Janet
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day and on time.
We cannot accommodate groups.
This time we will meet at 07:50 in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, snacks and picnic lunch
- small money for garden fee (10 bt) & transport (up to 180 baht).
- good footwear etc. hat, rain wear, insect repellent and sun-block
- energy, enthusiasm and a good sense of humour.
Filed under: All posts