This will be a repeat hike, ’round the palace. We will start the hike from the parking lot at Doi Suthep temple, following a circular route through the forest, crossing the road near the palace, climbing up beside the palace fence and arriving at San Ku at the top of Doi Suthep in time for lunch, a pack lunch we each need to bring. From there we retrace our steps to the palace fence and follow it down the other side, eventually coming out at the road again, cross it and come down the steps of the nature trail, which will bring us out just above Wat Doi Suthep. There are some steep sections, but it is a fun hike with much variety of scenery. It should take about 4 hours at a moderate pace.
Plan: Meet at the arboretum at 07:50 for an 08:00 hours departure. We will use song tao to travel to and from the starting and finishing point.
Hike Leader: JANET
Please be aware that there is a huge bicycle rally going up to the Temple on Sunday morning. This may cause congestion in getting to the Arboretum so please allow extra time to get there. It is ESSENTIAL that all hikers are at the meeting place at 07:50 so that numbers are known and all can be in the song tao and on the way up by 08:OO hours.
LATE COMERS MAY BE REFUSED.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day and on time.
We cannot accommodate groups.
This time we will meet at 07:50 in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, snacks and picnic lunch
- small money for transport (80 baht).
- good footwear etc. hat, rain wear, insect repellent and sun-block
- energy, enthusiasm and a good sense of humour.
Filed under: All posts