This hike will start from the Golden Buddha statue at Huay Thung Thao. Time 07.50 for sharp 08.00 start. Starting point reached by driving north along the Irrigation Canal Road for about 5km beyond the SEA games sports stadium. The left turning to Huay Thung Thao is clearly marked with a road sign. There is an entrance fee of 20 Baht/person. After passing the booth turn left and drive along the lake shore for about 1km, where you will see a huge Buddha statue.
The trail runs uphill through open country along the left hand ridge until a fork, at which point we will continue straight uphill for about 30 minutes along a very steep forest trail. At the top of the hill we turn right and descend gently through orchards. At several points along the trail there are spectacular views of the northern part of the Chiang Mai Valley. We will stop by the side of the trail for a snack and to admire the (haze permitting) view. We then descend steeply down to the Dtad Mork stream. From there we will proceed upstream to the waterfall, crossing the stream just below the waterfall to meet up with our outward trail and thence back to the Buddha statue.
The plan is to take this hike at an easy pace, but participants should be sufficiently fit to tackle the 30-minute steep uphill section. Total time expected to be 4 – 4 1/2 hours.
Hike Leader: Richard
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming.
Please note we do not cater for groups.
Meeting Place and time:
Golden Buddha Next to Huay Tung Thao Lake at 07:50 hours for sharp 08.00 hours start please don’t be late as we leave on time.
Huay Tung Thao is 12 km out of town from the North East corner of the moat.
- Driving around the outside of the moat turn left onto Huay Kaeow Rd after the Chiang Mai Ram Hospital. This is the road running out from the NE corner of the moat.
- You will pass Central Kad Suan Kaeow after about 100 m on the left.
- Drive on through the Amari Rincomb intersection, to the Phucombe intersection. The Phucombe intersection is the second major 4 way, traffic lighted, intersection, it is 2 km from the moat.
- Turn right onto the Canal Road and keep going for 6.8 km.
- You will see a sign for the turn off for the Huay Tung Thao lake on the left. Turn left.
- Continue for 2.2 km to the lake. Pay 20 Baht per person at the toll booth.
- When you get to the lake turn left and go around the lake for another 1.1 km.
- You will see the large standing Buddha. We will meet near there. You made it!
See also map below :
Please bring :
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more and snacks
- good footwear etc. hat, insect repellent and sunblock
- small money for the entry fee at Huay Tung Tao
- a swimming costume and possibly towel if you want to take a swim in Huay Tung Thao afterwards
- enthusiasm, energy and a sense of humour
Filed under: All posts |