From Wat Pa Thanmachat to Mae Dteut Waterfall and her sister
This is a new hike that came about due to an error made on 18th October 2009 when hiking up to the Si Sang Wan falls and taking the wrong turning. Several subsequent explorations took place with the initial objective of making the Si Sang Wan falls hike circular. That objective was achieved late last year after which this new hike was developed from those earlier found trails.
There is another little more challenging hike on the same day.
We start from the Temple grounds at an altitude of c. 470 metres and hike through well shaded forest alongside a stream. After crossing the stream the trail take us uphill on a mainly easy gradient and we visit a sister waterfall before retracing our steps. When we return to a “Y” junction we bear right and after a short hike reach the Mae Dteut Waterfall. There will be a temptation to bathe in its pool but we must resist because this is the source of water for the Temple below. We will try to avoid walking on the water pipes which are a feature of parts of this hike. After a break for lunch we return to the starting point before 14:00 hours. We expect to have covered about 6.4 km at a leisurely pace and up to altitudes of about 630 m.
We will :
- meet at the Wat Pa Thanmachat at 8:30 at an altitude of c. 470m
- hike over a stream and through shaded forest
- bear right at a “Y” junction
- cross the stream and hike up hill until we reach the ridge
- follow the ridge and drop by a waterfall
- take care when descending because its a bit of a scramble over rocks
- leave the waterfall and scramble back up to the main track
- retrace our steps downhill and back to the “Y” junction
- bear right and hike northwards through forest following the Temple water pipes
- reach the Mae Dtuet Waterfall where will will break for lunch and rest
- take care to avoid the red ants – they are very unfriendly!
- finish lunch and rest break before returning to our starting point before 14:00 hours
- have hiked about 6.4 km
Janet and Brian
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming.
Assembly Time: 08:30 hours
Meeting Place: Wat Pa Thanmachat
- From the Huay Kaew Road junction with the Canal Road go south on the Canal Road (h’way 121) for 10.1 km
- At the Junction of the Canal Road (H’way 121) with the 1269 turn right into the Samoeng road
- After 9.1 km, having just crossed a bridge, turn right into the lane signed Wat Thanmachat
- In 1.45 km reach the Temple, drive in and park on the left opposite the big modern building
See the map below (click to enlarge it).
Please bring :
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more and picnic lunch, snacks
- good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellant and sunblock
- lots of energy, enthusiasm and good humour
Filed under: All posts