This will be a circular hike starting from Ban Doi Pui, through part of the village, up several steps and then on a forest trail to the road. After a short walk up the road we pass the barrier and continue up hill on the service track to the top. From there we can take an excursion to the summit and then have rest and lunch at the Princess’s Salah.
We will descend down the NW face and turn left along a fairly level trail until we reach the garden area of Ban Doi Pui.
There are three sections to this hike:
1. We start at an elevation of 1,275m in Ban Doi Pui and hike 3.66 km uphill rising 374 metres to reach the summit of Doi Pui.
2. From the summit we descend 368 metres over 1.71 km – rather steep.
3. At the base of Doi Pui we are at an elevation of 1,324m and from here we hike gently for 3.07 km to reach Ban Doi Pui at an elevation of 1,275m.
We shall have hiked about 8.5 km for, maybe, 5 – 6 hours including breaks
Plan: meet before 07:50 hours at the arboretum. If there are enough drivers we will car pool to Ban Doi Pui. Otherwise we will arrange songtao transport there and back.
Latecomers may not be accepted.
Hike Leaders: Janet and Brian
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day and before time.
We cannot accommodate groups.
This time we will meet before 07:50 in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, snacks and picnic lunch
- small money for garden fee (10 bt) & transport (up to 180 baht).
- good footwear etc. hat, rain wear, insect repellent and sun-block
- energy, enthusiasm and a good sense of humour.
Filed under: All posts |