Something a bit different – not on Doi Suthep/Pui! An easy 8.5 km high level loop with cooler temperatures (26ºC at 1pm, end May), the smell of pine trees and beautiful, panoramic, long distance ridge views to North (Doi Chiang Dao) and South (Doi Pui), with total of only 400m of gentle altitude gain/loss. Suitable for all, with 3-4 hours walking (and about 45 mins drive each way). Shortcuts and vehicle access possible for any who falter
Gentle ups and downs, mostly along little-used vehicle tracks (only two pickups and three m/c passed us in 3.5 hours last Weds). Many ridge top viewpoints, especially at the start/finish and half-way point (Doi Lor/Doi Khom Rong, 1,447m). Nice (view, food, but not cheap) restaurant at the end of the loop. Early start to allow people to (a) avoid later traffic and finish walking by lunchtime, and (b) either get home early, or visit the nearby Royal Project, Botanical Gardens or other Mae Sa valley attractions/resorts in the afternoon.
We will :
- meet at the 700-year stadium and car share out to the trailhead above the Mae Sa valley.
- hike about 1.5 kms, first gently uphill, then along a level ridge.
- hike another 1.5 kms or so down, then up to the Doi Lor viewpoint/peak, at 1,447m.
- have a photo break (&/or rest ;-).
- descend (mostly) 2 kms down to the Huay Mae Luat stream/trickle. (Partly trail not track.)
- ascend (mostly) 1 km or so back up to the starting ridge .
- walk the final 1.5 kms back to the cars/restaurant.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. Well-behaved dogs welcome.
We will meet at the 700-year stadium car park (see map), just off the 121 irrigation canal road and leave there promptly at 07.30, then…
- Car-share in convoy north towards Mae Rim on routes 121 and 107.
- Turn left onto the military Mae Rim bypass road towards the Mae Rim-Samoeng (Mae Sa valley) Rd.
- Turn left onto the Mae Sa valley 1096 road towards Samoeng.
- Re-group, waiting for any stragglers in front of the Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden entrance.
- Turn off north and climb up the 4027 rural road to the Mon Jaem carpark/restaurant/viewpoint at 1,275 metres.
- Start hiking by 08.30 am. Finish hiking around noon.
How to come to 700 year stadium car park.
.Head straight out from the North West corner of the moat 2 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road (H.1004)
- .Turn right onto the Canal Road H.12
- 1After 4.5 km going North turn left at traffic lights into the Stadium area.
- See the map below (click to enlarge).
Please bring :
- at least 2 litres of water/rehydration drink, and lunch/money for restaurant &/or driver.
- sunhat, sunblock, rain protection.
- energy, enthusiasm, and good humour.
Filed under: All posts