A 9-10 km ridge walk, with good valley views, taking in a number of peaks (max. alt. 756m, min 342m), starting at Muang On cave and finishing near Sankamphaeng hot springs so we can have a relaxing swim in the hot pool after the hike. Those with energy left after the 5-6 hour hike can visit the cave and maybe say hi to the Macaque monkey troop in the cave area.
Some stony/rocky trails so boots recommended rather than sandals. One trail section is very narrow above quite a steep drop, so bring a good sense of balance. Occasional sections of the trail are not so clear. Early start necessary to get the low altitude climbing finished before it gets too hot, and to leave time in the afternoon for the (optional) hot springs and/or cave visits.
Meet at 08.00 in the Sankamphaeng Hot Springs car park (GPS co-ords 18.8141802,99.229331). We will then leave some vehicles there, car share to drop a couple of vehicles at the Rung Aroon hot springs car park (a couple of kms away, near the finish point) and remaining vehicles will take all hikers to the start point just below Meuang On cave, a couple of kms in the opposite direction. Got that?
Anyone who doesn’t have transport to Sankamphaeng might like to hitch a lift with one of the drivers at 07.30 at the side of the road in front of the new Promenada shopping mall at the beginning of the H.1317 road which goes out past Sankamphaeng to Ban On. (See map) Drivers please look out for hitching hikers waving trekking poles, rucksacks, or cans of Chang for Anders. It’s about 30 kms/30 mins from there.
Non-hiking family members may like to join us, spending time inside the interesting cave, up the monkey hill above the cave, or at the hot springs.
Mike, Anders & Chan.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day, on time. We cannot accommodate groups. Well-behaved dogs welcome on the hike, but not apparently in the hot springs area.
We will meet at 08.00 am at the Sankamphaeng hot springs car park (see maps). We will then share cars to our hike starting point.
- From the superhighway (H.11), head straight out along the H.1317 Sankamphaeng Bypass to Ban On. Beware roadworks.
- Turn left onto CM rural road 4021 and go straight on until you see a big yellow sign for Sankamphaeng Hot Springs. Turn right and park in the car park.
Please see the maps below (click to enlarge).
And here is the track.
Please bring :
- at least 2 litres of water/re-hydration drink, snacks and lunch/money for hot springs restaurant &/or driver.
- strong footwear, sunhat, sunblock, insect repellent and rain protection. Stick/trekking pole?
- energy, enthusiasm, team spirit and good humour.
- swimsuit, towel, change of clothes/footwear for hot springs.
- hot springs entry fee (Bt.20-40), pool fee (Bt.50), cave entry fee (Bt.10-20).
Filed under: All posts