131130-131201 Khun Tan Overnight
Reminder. 24 Nov. is the final date to reserve a place on this overnight!!!
This has become an annual event which includes an easy hike, cool clean air, a free dinner, and often a campfire. If the weather is clear there can also be wonderful views. The cabins at Yaw 3 are nice, but sleeping arrangements not exactly private. Bedding is provided, and the kitchen is fully equipped including clean drinking water. (To clarify about Sat. night free dinner: This is Janet’s birthday treat for all who come. I will provide the fixing and those who have “willing hands” can help prepare it in the kitchen.)
You will need to reserve a place if you want to enjoy this Nov. visit to Khun Tan National Park. It will only happen if we have at least 10 people who reserve, the minimum number which guarantees electric power in the evening.
The plan is to meet at the train station at 9am on Sat. morning and then car pool to the National Park, on the border between Lampoon and Lampang. It takes about 1 ½ hours to drive there. We will eat lunch at the park headquarters (or you can bring your own if you prefer) and then drive up to Yaw 1, where we will be met by motorcycle carriers to take up our packs. From here we hike up on an easy path for about 5 km. to the mission cabins at Y. 3.
On Sunday morning we will hike back down to the cars and return to Chiang Mai, arriving midafternoon.
What to bring: good shoes, water for the hike up, a pack breakfast, overnight things including a warm jacket, flashlight/torch, your driver’s license, money – 100-110 baht for the cabin and cooking gas, 20 baht park entrance fee or 200 baht in case you don’t have a driver’s license and the officials demand the full fee, 150 baht for your driver, and about 20 baht/kg if you have your pack taken up by carrier. And don’t forget to bring the usual energy, enthusiasm, and humor!
You may reserve, or ask questions, by writing to email@example.com. Final date for reservations is Nov. 24.
This time we will meet at 09:00 am at the Chiang Mai Railway Station on Saturday 30th November 2013
- Please arrive at CM Train Station by 09:00
If you have booked with Janet
just turn up at the meeting place on the day and on time.
We cannot accommodate groups.
This time we will meet at 09:00 am sharp at the main entrance of Chiang Mai Railway Station (pictured above).
- Head out to Nawarat Bridge.
- Cross the bridge and keep going out on Charoen Mueang Rd.
- The Railway Station is on the right after 1.9 km.
- Enter the railway station and meet us at the main entrance to the station itself. It is better to park outside as there is a charge for parking after 20 minutes in the car park.
See the map below (click to enlarge it).
Please remember to bring :
- around 1-1.5 litres of water or more, snack, lunch for Saturday (unless you plane to use the restaurant at the park) and breakfast for Sunday morning.
- secure plastic containers for your food and snacks else it may be eaten by overnight marauders
- small change for expenses
- good footwear etc. hat, mozzie repellent and sunblock
- flashlight, warm clothing and jacket for the evening and overnight toilet essentials
- lots of energy and good humour
Filed under: All posts