For those hikers who don’t manage to read to the end of descriptions, this hike will include some bush-wacking sections of indistinct trail with head high grass, and plenty of steep downhill and steep back up(another)hill again, with about 700m of ascent, descent and more ascent over about 10 kilometres and an estimated 6 hours. Bring warm clothes for the cold at this altitude (1,000-1,400m).
But the good news is … some lovely pine forest, great views across to Mon Jaem, Doi Lor and over the Mae Sa valley to Doi Pui (and mostly on deserted vehicle tracks or clear trails, with a very short on-quiet-road section). Most of the ridge route is ‘pre-wacked’. Also a conveniently situated restaurant at the end of the hike with wonderful views of the area.
Hike Leaders: The Three Bushwackerteers (Richard, Anders & Mike)
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming. No groups.
We will meet before 07.30 am at the 700 year stadium carpark (18°50’22.61″N, 98°57’49.46″E)
- Head out from town on Huay Kaew Rd, NW towards Doi Suthep.
- Turn right (N) onto the Irrigation Canal Rd opposite the Phucome Hotel.
- Go straight on through two sets of traffic lights and turn left at the third traffic light into the stadium area.
- Turn immediately right into the first car park you see. (If there happens to be a big event in there on Sunday, try to park out front of the stadium area instead, just after the traffic lights.)
See the map below (click to enlarge).
We will car share from the meeting point out to the Mon Jaem area, where the hike will start and finish. Directions from the stadium meeting point to the hike start point, just in case:
- Leaving the stadium area, at 07.30, we will turn left (North) along the 121 canal road.
- Turn left onto the Mae Rim Rd, Highway 107, then quite soon left again onto the Mae Rim bypass road (military road, no number?), alongside the irrigation canal again.
- Turn left onto the 1096 Mae Sa valley road, past all the monkey & snake farms, the Mae Sa elephant camp and the Botanical Gardens.
- Turn right onto CM Rural Rd 4027 steeply uphill, past Tipco, to Mon Jaem.
- Just below Mon Jaem itself, turn left on the newish “MJ bypass” (signposted to Samoeng) and look out for the campsite carpark off to the left.
- Click to enlarge out-of-date map below…
Please bring :
- at least 2 litres of water, snacks, picnic lunch
- strong, enclosed boots/footwear, hat, sunblock, warn clothes
- trekking pole or stick recommended for steep climb/descent
- long sleeves/pants recommended for long grass and spiky/itchy undergrowth
- money for transport and/or for the bar/restaurant (optional)
- plenty of energy, enthusiasm, good humour & no hangover
Filed under: All posts |