For those planning a bacchanalean Songkran this is a good opportunity for a pre-binge work-out and tune-up. This hike is 13 km long and involves an elevation gain of 800 meters, so a good level of physical fitness will be required.
We will start the hike at the irrigation office above 700-year stadium at 07.30 sharp. The trail leads us up past Porcupine Falls and then continues south-west uphill through forest for around 3 km until we reach vehicle tracks servicing an agricultural area, where we turn north-west through a mix of open land and patchy forest. We follow the vehicle tracks for another 2 km to the highest point of the hike, a large junction (Mike’s Gurgling Crossroads) just below the summit of Doi Pa Ka. Here we will stop briefly for a snack.
The gradient up to this point is steadily uphill, but is only really steep over one short section.
From the junction we start a long descent to the helipad that overlooks Huay Tung Tao. The first section is on a vehicle track, but we soon turn onto a forest trail with some very steep downhill sections. 500 meters or so after passing the helipad we turn right onto a indistinct forest trail that meets up with the large trail that joins Huay Tung Tao to 700-year stadium. The last 2 km is along this trail back to our starting point.
It is anticipated the total hiking time will be 5 – 5 ½ hours. There are picnic tables next to the lake at our finishing point where we can eat our packed lunches.
To summarise this is a 13km hike involving 800 meters of elevation gain over the first 5 km. Total time should be 5 – 5 ½ hours. There is one short steep section on the way up and a longer very steep section on the way down.
Hike Leader: Richard
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day and on time.
We cannot accommodate groups.
This time we will meet at 07:20 for an 07:30 hours startin the car park at the South Western end of the dam behind the 700 years Stadium.There is no need to let us know you are coming.
- Head straight out from the North West corner of the moat 2 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road (H.1004).
- Turn right onto the Canal Road H.121
- After 4.5 km going North turn left at traffic lights into the Stadium area.
- Keep straight for about 1 km and pass through the check point after which the road goes uphill to reach the dam.
Please don’t be late as we leave on time.
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, snacks and picnic lunch
- good footwear etc. hat, rain wear, insect repellent and sun-block
- energy, team spirit, enthusiasm and a good sense of humour.
Filed under: All posts