Sunday hike April 20
Today’s hike is adapted to the warm period.
We will be up at 1000 to 1300 meters elevation and in shaded terrain. This will provide a pleasant hike, despite the current hot weather. But it’s incredibly important to have enough water with you. And drink it! Suggested is 2 liters.
We will meet in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park) at 08:00. Car sharing takes place 08:10, up to the car park below the Doi Suthep Temple. Hike start about 08:30.
We will start hike behind the temple on an altitude of 1000 m, to the finish altitude of about 1300 meters. The first half hour we will hike north on a trail with no height difference. Then will the uphill section start, west facing. One passage is steep, but easy to hike. The turning point will be a research station which one of the universities from Japan has in the area. Altitude is 1350 m. The hike is on trails and small forest roads. Near the station, it will be a little bit of easy jungle trekking.
Then we will walk down back to our starting point, which we will now reach from the south, on an easily hiked forest road and on clear trails. Finish will be with the usual hikers lunch and refreshments at a restaurant in the area.
Approximately 9.3 km
Time depending on the group, about 4,5 hours
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day and on time.
We cannot accommodate groups.
This time we will meet at 08:00 in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- around 2 liters of water or more, snacks and picnic lunch
- correct money for transport (at least 100 bt if you are passanger in the carpool).
- good footwear etc. hat, rain wear, insect repellent and sun-block
- energy, enthusiasm and a good sense of humour.
Filed under: All posts |