Here is a high level hike which aims to avoid leeches, has a challenging downhill stretch with beautiful views if the weather is clear, and has the added treat of a nice coffee shop, one we have not visited in a long time.
The plan is to meet at the arboretum at 7:50 for an 8am start. We will car pool up to the Khun Chang Khian checkpoint, walk up along the road to the big picnic table area, and then climb down the north face of Doi Pui. From there we will walk along the road, with a small short cut on a path, to the coffee shop, where we can have a longish break before walking back along the road to the parked cars. Please give your driver 100 baht to help pay for petrol. If there are not enough cars, we will need to use song tao which may cost a bit more.
Hiking time should be no more than 4 hours.
Hike leader: Janet
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day and on time.
We cannot accommodate groups.
This time we will meet at 07:50 in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park).
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, snacks and picnic lunch
- good footwear etc. hat, rain wear, insect repellent and sun-block
- energy, team spirit, enthusiasm and a good sense of humour.
- correct money for transport (at least 150 bt).
Filed under: All posts |