An old favourite, local, low level hike of two halves, with around 400m of steepish altitude gain for maybe 90 minutes over the first 2.5 kms, passing by Chiang Khian waterfall on the way up to the Hmong orchards, but then mostly gently descending, though with occasional steeper sections, for about 4.5 kms, passing Porcupine Falls above the 700-year dam. A total loop distance of around 7 kms. A few stream crossings and narrow stony/overgrown paths above sharp drops need to be negotiated. A reasonable level of fitness and agility is required. We will walk at a slowish pace, probably taking around 3-4 hrs in total, and should be back in time for lunch. We are unlikely to see the porcupines I met on this trail once. (Stronger hikers may want to continue on up to gurgling crossroads and Doi Pha Kha, at 1,135m, if they know the way there and back.)
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming. No groups, please.
We will meet before 8 am where Huay Chang Khian meets Soi Chang Khian, just before the scout camp at the end of the soi, from where the hike will also begin. (18°49’25.22″N, 98°56’55.18″E, I think!)
- Head out from town on Huay Kaew Rd, NW towards Doi Suthep.
- Turn right, N, onto the Irrigation Canal Rd opposite the Phucome Hotel.
- Take the second soi, at the next traffic lights, just before the Fine Thanks restaurant, then right at the t-junction onto Soi Chang Khian.
- Continue along the main soi, bearing left at the mini roundabout, for over 2 kms, almost to the end of the soi. Ignore all turns off the main soi onto side sois, but follow signs, first for Naena Textiles, then later Neo Cafe, which some of us may like to visit after the hike. The meeting/start point is not far after the cafe.
See the map below (click to enlarge).
Please bring :
- at least 1-2 litres of water/rehydration drink, energy snacks
- strong, enclosed boots/footwear, hat, sunblock, rain protection
- trekking pole or stick recommended for steep climb/descent
- long sleeves/pants recommended for long grass and spiky/itchy undergrowth
- plenty of energy, enthusiasm, good humour & no hangover
Filed under: All posts |