This is one of two alternative hikes this Sunday; see below for the second hike. If car-sharing, please bring a change of clothes and 100 baht towards transport costs.
Quite a tough hike, with beautiful ridge views, around 11 kms roundtrip, but with over 900m of often VERY steep altitude gain and then similar very steep descent. A good level of fitness and agility is required, along with a good head for heights. We will take it at a moderate pace, with probably around 6 hours walking, plus lunch break, plus over an hour’s drive each way. All must keep up with the group to ensure a timely return.
The views along the ridges, and towards Doi Lanka Luang (2022m, 6th highest peak in Thailand) on this hike are marvellous (if clear), but be warned that the first couple of kilometres involve fording Huai Mae Ton stream 14 times and the second half of the uphill is very steep (+33%), partly on a very narrow path skirting steep cliffs, and needs a good level of fitness and balance. The initial descent from the peak is even steeper (-50%) and requires hands to steady oneself (though no rock climbing). Anyone without a good head for heights should not join. Slips are quite common on the way down and the path can be quite overgrown in places.
We will :
- hike 3 kms gently uphill (+250m, average +7%), fording a stream 14 times.
- hike another 3 kms steeply up (+511m, av.+33%) to and along a ridge to Doi Lanka Noi peak, at 1,750m.
- have lunch and explore the broad plateau and golden stupa (or rest ;-)).
- descend carefully down the very steep ‘goat track’ from the peak (av.-50%).
- hike 1 km along a gently undulating ridge with beautiful views.
- descend steeply (-35% for first 1km) down for 2 kms to Ban Mae Dton Luang village.
- walk the final 2 kms along the very quiet 1252 road, back to the cars.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. Groups cannot be accommodated.
We will meet before 07.25 am in front of Central Festival shopping mall on the Doi Saket Rd side (H.118), opposite the Isuzu showroom, on the road to Doi Saket and Chiangrai, leaving at 07.30, then …
- Car-share in convoy past Doi Saket on the 118 road towards Chiangrai.
- Turn right onto the 3005 rural road towards Mae Kampong/Flight of the Gibbon.
- Turn left onto the 1252 road towards Ban Mae Dton Luang.
- Turn left again at the Ban Mae Dton Luang junction and park two kms along the 1252, near Wat Kamphaeng Hin, about 50 kms in total from the meeting point, at an altitude of about 1,000m.
- Start hiking by about 08.30 am.
Please bring :
- at least 2-3 litres of water/rehydration drink, energy snacks and lunch
- appropriate footwear (sandals for stream fording? boots for ascent/descent?)
- sunhat, sunblock, and anti-leech measures
- trekking pole(s) or stick recommended for steep uphills and descents
- lots of energy, enthusiasm, good humour and a good sense of balance
Filed under: All posts