Sunday 8 March.
A hike around Chiang Mai University Observatory.
This is a high altitude hike, an opportunity to escape the heat and the smog in Chiang Mai.
We will meet 07:20 am at the car park at of the Huay Kaew Arboretum (also known as the exercise park). We car pool up to our start point, the parking lot below Doi Suthep Temple.
We will hike upon the concrete road up to a Christian meditation center. From here a small trail, which will lead us downhill south in the jungle. The trail soon meet the big mountain bike trail. We will continue downhill in east direction. But we must be careful so we do not miss a small trail on our left side up to the observatory.
Here at the observatory we will have our snack break for 15 minutes. We need to refuel energy, because now we must climp up on a steep trail. At this time of the year it will be hot in this section. We will gain altitude of 200 meter in 1 km distance. On the top wonderful views (if no smog). From here it is an easy hike back to the parking area. On the way we will pass the second Christian meditation center and hike up to a beautiful viewpoint.
Option is lunch at one of the small restaurants.
The hike is on clear and safety trails. No steep sections downhill. An easy hike. Estimated time will be about 4 hour, depending on the group.
Hike leader Anders
If you want to join:
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day and on time.
We cannot accommodate groups.
This time we will meet at 07:20 in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park). Car pool from here.
In case you are a passenger, please contribute to the costs of gasoline with THB 100 per person.
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
Please don’t be late as we leave on time.
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, snacks and picnic lunch
- good footwear , hat, rain wear, insect repellent and sun-block
- energy, team spirit, enthusiasm and a good sense of humour.
Filed under: All posts