Starting in the village and up past the multi-level Mae Kamphong waterfall, along the upper stream through the coffee plantations, then on up to the ranger station, Kio Fin viewpoint, SW along the ridge and back down through more coffee plantations along the other side of the road. Starting high (1000m) and going higher (almost 1600m) for cooling breezes, clean air and, if clear, great views.
A lot of steep uphill and downhill, including ladders with handrails, narrow trails above steep drops, slippery leaves/green rocks, fallen trees and bamboo. High humidity. Some prickly plants, overgrown trails and even a leech last week. But all worthwhile…
The main group will hike about 8 kms, up/down about 750m and probably take about 5 hours including stops, depending on the speed of the group. There will be an option for stronger/faster hikers to continue further south along Opium Ridge, along the route of a recent exploration hike, coming back the same way.
Meet: In front of Central Festival Mall (on Doi Saket-Chiang Rai 118 Rd side) before 07.30. We will then car share (limited car parking available at the trailhead) in convoy out past Doi Saket for just under an hour (50 kms) to the village of Mae Kamphong, where the hike starts/ends. Some low gear hills to negotiate near the trailhead but all on surfaced roads.
Hike leaders: Anders & Mike
- at least 2.5 litres of water/rehydration drink, energy snacks and lunch.
- sun & rain protection, strong footwear, long sleeves/trousers to stop stings, bites, leeches and thorns.
- plenty of energy, enthusiasm and good humour.
- 100 baht for your driver if you are a passenger.
- a change of clothes for the drive home; swimsuit/towel for possible dip at waterfall.
Filed under: All posts |