One hike fits all this week, … we hope. No slow/fast group choice, just a nice walk, starting at a cool 1400m and climbing up to 1700m. We hope for clear long-distance views to the surrounding ridges and peaks of Doi Pha Ngorm, Doi Lanka Luang, Doi Phi Pannam and pine-scented cool breezes to relieve the city heat, as we found on the exploration hike this week.
But, there will of course be some quite steep uphill and downhill, some with slippery leaves, a few short sections with no clear trail, and a few very narrow paths above steep drops. No big problem for the average regular Sunday hiker and no hurry to finish. About 7.5 kms total distance, up/down 720m, about 5.5-6 hours including lunch stop, depending on group speed. Out and back hike, not a loop.
Hike leader: Mike
Meeting place: In front of CenFes on H.118, opposite the Isuzu showroom at 07.15, in time to arrange lifts and leave by 07.30. We will then drive out past Doi Saket for about 50 mins, to the Chiang Rai border. No groups please. Steep, narrow, low-gear road up to the hike start point.
- at least 2-3 litres of water or rehydration drink, energy snacks and lunch
- strong footwear with ankle support and good grip on steep, slippery slopes
- stick or trekking pole recommended for steep up/downhill
- protection from sun/heat, rain, insects and thorny undergrowth
- 100 baht for your driver, and a change of clothes/shirt, if you need a lift
- lots of enthusiasm, energy and good humour
With two (too-?) regular hike leaders not 100% fit, it would be great to get some more people to lead hikes in the next couple of weeks. Any volunteers? (High hikes recommended for this time of year – maybe time for the simple Mon Jaem loop or similar.)
Filed under: All posts |