This hike starts from the Golden Buddha at Huey Tung Tao. The route follows the trail to Daat Mook Waterfall before diverging right on connecting trails to the road system leading past farms and orchards below the ridge above Huey Tueng Tao. The ridge is the highpoint of the hike where we can stop for a rest and snack before continuing our journey. From the ridge, the trail descends rapidly to the east – signs warn that the trail is not for novice mountain bike enthusiasts! After slipping and sliding down 300 meters, views of the valley begin to appear between the trees. We reach a fork in the trail and chose the branch to the left which continues down to the east of Daat Mook Waterfall. A short excursion to the waterfall is optional before continuing our descent down the open slopes above Huey Tueng Tao. After completing our hike we will enjoy a delicious lunch at one of the restaurants around the north shore of Huey Tueng Tao.
Total distance about 11 kilometers with about 650 meters of elevation gain. Time for the hike is about six hours with stops for snacks and water along the way.
This is a volunteer-led hike and you are responsible for your own safety at all times. Please read the full hike description/requirements and consider your preparedness.
Meeting Point & Time.
We will meet at 7:45 am next to the Golden Buddha on the west shore of Huey Tueng Tao (See map for directions). You will need to buy a ticket to enter the lake area, 20 baht per person. Huay Tung Thao is 12 km out of town from the North East corner of the moat.
- Driving around the outside of the moat turn left onto Huay Kaeow Rd after the Chiang Mai Ram Hospital. This is the road running out from the NE corner of the moat.
- You will pass Central Kad Suan Kaeow after about 100 m on the left.
- Drive on through the Amari Rincomb intersection, to the Phucombe intersection. The Phucombe intersection is the second major 4 way, traffic lighted, intersection, it is 2 km from the moat.
- Turn right onto the Canal Road and keep going for 6.8 km.
- You will see a sign for the turn off for the Huay Tung Thao lake on the left. Turn left.
- Continue for 2.2 km to the lake. Pay 20 Baht per person at the toll booth.
- When you get to the lake turn left and go around the lake for another 1.1 km.
- You will see the large standing Buddha. We will meet near there. You made it!
After some words from our leader, we will depart at 8:00 am
If you want to join, just turn up at the meeting place on time. No need to let us know. No groups please and no unprepared hikers.
- at least 2 litres of water or rehydration drink, energy snacks and a picnic lunch
- strong legs & lungs for the climb up; sticks recommended for steep downhill
- sunhat, suncreen, insect repellant and long sleeves/pants recommended
- strong footwear with good grip and ankle support
- plenty of energy, enthusiasm, team spirit and good humour
Hike leaders: Chan and Peter D.
Filed under: All posts