Time for a local hike with no long drive from the meeting point. This is a variation on our Huay Chang Khian – Huay Mae Yuak loop, but in an anticlockwise direction and with an added extra section down to Huay Kaew waterfall which should mean a slightly less steep descent. The 500m altitude gain is therefore a little more gradual, though still uphill for over 5 kms, and probably two hours, but then with a much steeper descent over 3 kms, a total distance of around 8 kms. A few stream crossings and narrow stony paths above sharp drops need to be negotiated. A reasonable level of fitness and agility is required. We will walk at a moderate pace, probably taking around 4.5 hrs in total, including snack/lunch break. If we are very lucky we may see the fabled porcupines I met on this route one Sunday. This is a hike with many confusing trail junctions, so we will need to stick together with one of the leaders if we are not to lose over-eager hikers (as has happened on previous occasions on this hike).
Mike B, Peter D & Kurt.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. There is no need to let us know you are coming.
We will meet at 07.45 am where Huay Chang Khian meets Soi Chang Khian, just before the scout camp at the end of the soi. GPS co-ordinates: <18° 49.436′ N 98° 56.916′ E>
- Head out from the moat NW towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaew Rd.
- Turn right onto the Irrigation Canal Rd opposite the Phucome Hotel.
- Take the second soi, at the next traffic lights, just before Fine Thanks, then right at the t-junction onto Soi Chang Khian.
- Continue along the main soi, bearing left at the mini roundabout, for over 2 kms, almost to the end of the soi, following signs to, and then past, Neo cafe (where post-hike ice-creams and other refreshments should be available).
See the maps below (click to enlarge them).
Please bring :
- at least 2 litres of water, and energy snacks/lunch
- strong, enclosed boots/footwear, sunhat, and sunblock
- trekking pole or stick recommended for the steep descent
- long sleeves/pants recommended for long grass and spiky/itchy undergrowth
- plenty of energy, enthusiasm and good humour