A new area for us, just over the Chiang Rai border out past Doi Mot, thanks to two hard-working exploration groups. A long, high pine ridge, fairly shady but with good views (if clear). The way up is not too long or steep, but both return options involve some steep descent and some narrow slippery-dry-leaf trails above steep drops; Bring grippy footwear and a stick/trekking pole, but both options suitable for the average regular group hiker.
Two options – please be ready to state your choice at the meeting point so we can arrange transport.
Option 1: Green route, 13 kms, up 650m/down 780m, 6 hrs plus breaks, longer but less steep downhill, but last 2.5 kms down (shady, streamside, quiet) narrow concrete road.
Option 2: Blue loop, 9 kms, up/down 600m, 5+ hrs plus breaks, shorter but steeper downhill
Leaders: Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich – hoping to cater for a range of speeds (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsExj_0IHEs)
Meeting place: <18° 48.328′ N 99° 1.211′ E> In front of Central Festival Mall on H.118 (opposite Isuzu) at 07.20 for an 07.30 start. (No stop at Bangjak Doi Saket this time, to offset longer drive: 1 hr 15 mins.) Limited parking at start <19° 8.204′ N 99° 25.015′ E> and end points <19° 5.085′ N 99° 24.103′ E> so we need to minimise the number of vehicles. No need to let us know you are coming. No groups please. Seats in cars cannot be guaranteed.
- at least 2-3 litres of water/rehydration drink
- protection from sun/heat, rain/cold, insects and thorns
- energy snacks and lunch (after-hike, grilled chicken available along H.118)
- footwear with deep tread/good grip, and trekking pole/stick for steep downs
- lots of energy, team spirit, good humour
- passengers please bring 100 baht for your driver and a change of shirt/clothes for the drive home.
Filed under: All posts |