A fairly easy loop in high country. We escape to cooler temperatures, the smell of pine trees and just possibly (if the air is clear enough) beautiful, panoramic, long distance ridge views to North (Doi Chiang Dao) and South (Doi Pui).
The hike will start from the grass car park below the restaurant we normally eat at. We will go across the fields behind the restaurant and down to a dirt road in the valley below. From the valley we go through a small forest area and then start a relatively steep ascent up another dirt road and through the fields and up to the highest ridge. If the view is not haze restricted we will walk on to the overgrown viewpoint. If it is “cloudy” we will double back down the dirt road and on to the restaurant. This should be a relatively short walk of between 3-3.5 hours with some steep uphill but on dirt roads. Because of the short duration there will be no lunch break but a snack break on top of the ridge. Possible wildlife to be encountered includes squirrels and low growling but apathetic dogs.
Hike Leader: Stephen R.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. Well-behaved dogs welcome. No groups please.
We will meet 07.45 am for an 08.00 start, in front of the 700-year stadium (see map), just beside the 121 irrigation canal road (not inside the stadium), then…
- Car-share in convoy north towards Mae Rim on routes 121 and 107.
- Turn left onto the military Mae Rim bypass road towards the Mae Rim-Samoeng (Mae Sa valley) Rd.
- Turn left onto the Mae Sa valley 1096 road towards Samoeng.
- Re-group, waiting for any stragglers in front of the Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden entrance.
- Turn off north and climb up the 4027 rural road to the Mon Jaem carpark/restaurant/viewpoint at 1,275 metres.
- Start hiking by 09.00 am. Finish hiking around by about 12.30.
- See the map below (click to enlarge).
Please bring :
- at least 2 litres of water/rehydration drink
- money for restaurant lunch, and THB 100 for your driver if sharing their car.
- sunhat, sunblock, rain protection.
- energy, enthusiasm, and good humour.
- spare fresh T-shirt, frock or tux you can change into at the end, especially if you are going to be traveling home with others in a car.
Filed under: All posts |