Starting in the village and up past the multi-level Mae Kamphong waterfall, along the upper stream through the coffee plantations, then on up to the ranger station at Kio Fin viewpoint. Starting high (1000m) and going higher (almost 1600m) for cooling breezes, clean air and, if clear, great views.
A lot of steep uphill and downhill, including ladders with handrails, narrow trails above steep drops, slippery leaves/green rocks, fallen trees and bamboo. Some prickly plants and angry biting black flies too.
The group will hike about 8 kms, up/down about 750m and probably take about 5 hours including stops, depending on the speed of the group.
Meet: In front of Central Festival Mall (on Doi Saket-Chiang Rai 118 Rd side, opposite Isuzu) before 07.30. We will then car share (limited car parking available at the trailhead) in convoy out past Doi Saket for just under an hour (50 kms) to the village of Mae Kamphong, where the hike starts/ends. Some low gear hills to negotiate near the trailhead but all on surfaced roads.
Hike leaders: &ers & PGB
- at least 2.5 litres of water/rehydration drink, energy snacks and lunch.
- sun & rain protection, strong footwear, long sleeves/trousers to minimise black fly “Khun” bites.
- plenty of energy, enthusiasm and good humour.
- 100 baht for your driver if you are a passenger.
- a change of clothes for the drive home; swimsuit/towel for possible splash at waterfall.
Filed under: All posts |