After meeting at the Huay Kaeow Arboretum, we will drive up to Ban Doi Pui (car-pooling, and/or hiring a songthaew if we don’t have enough cars). The hike has three sections. Starting from the village there is a sustained climb for two hours or so, mainly on a service track, until we reach the Princess’s Salah and the (rather flat and forest-bound) peak of Doi Pui. After taking a bit of rest while we eat our packed snacks or brunches, we descend rather steeply for about 1.7km, and then have a gentler ramble back for about 3km into Ban Doi Pui, where we may take further refreshments before the drive home.
The hike is about 8.5 km long. We will probably do it in 4-5 hours. The driving up and down may be nearly an hour each way, and the length of time taken drinking and eating at the end will be up to each car-driver.
Hike leader: Janet
How to join: Please read the general information on this site, as well as this particular post. If you still think the hike is for you, then just turn up at the meeting place on the day and on time.
We will meet at 07:45 for an 08:00 start, in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park). How to go to arboretum car park:
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, and snacks or picnic brunch
- good footwear etc. hat, insect repellent and sun-block
- spare shirt so you can change at the end, and be pleasanter in the car on the drive down
- Money for transport (THB 100 for driver if car-sharing; up to THB 200 if we need to hire a songthaew) and for refreshments bought in the village.
- energy, team spirit, enthusiasm and a good sense of humour.