Here’s another of Mike’s hot-season high-level ridge walks (getting bored yet? ) with 5-6 hours of hiking at shady, cooler, higher, less smokey (not guaranteed) elevations. This time with rocks…
We start at about 1,200m elevation and have a steep but short climb (+200m in 1 km) up to the main ridge which undulates between about 1,400-1,500m, until the above rocky outcrop (climbing it is not compulsory), and then we descend again a different way. Total distance about 8 kms. No guarantee that the area has not been burned off since the exploration hike.
(There could be an option for some fast/strong hikers to add on the ascent of Doi Phi Pannam, but this adds another 4 kms roundtrip, with about 400 vertical metres of steep climb up overgrown trails.) Rough elevation graph of the main loop (no DPP):
Meeting place: <18° 48.328′ N 99° 1.211′ E> In front of Central Festival Mall on H.118 (opposite Isuzu) at 07.20 for an 07.30 start. We will drive out almost to the Chiangrai border and turn left off H.118 at Ban Huai Mo, then up a steep concrete road to the trailhead carpark at <19° 3.930′ N 99° 19.239′ E>. No need to let us know you are coming. No groups please. Seats in cars cannot be guaranteed.
- at least 2-3 litres of water/rehydration drink
- protection from sun/heat, rain/cold, insects (lots) and prickly thorns
- energy snacks and lunch
- footwear with deep tread/good grip, and trekking pole/stick for steep downs
- lots of energy, team spirit, good humour
- passengers please bring 100 baht for your driver and a change of shirt/clothes for the drive home.
Filed under: All posts |