We will meet at 07:20 am in front of Central Festival (18º48.328’N; 99 1.211′ E) on route 118 (the road out to Doi Sakhet and Chiang Rai, see map below) opposite the Isuzu showroom (not on the Superhighway 11 side) for an 07.30 am start. Once car-pooled, we will head for Doi Sakhet to stop to pick-up additional hikers coming from outside Chiang Mai. We will pull up briefly at Bangjak gas station (18° 52.397′ N; 99° 8.034′ E) at Doi Sakhet at about 07:50. From Central Festival to the temple car park takes about 1 hour.
From Wat Tat Moei (18° 55.350′ N; 99° 21.866′ E), we will head directly into the forest on a well-marked track for half a kilometer before an abrupt path-closure forces us down a short but steep descent into a valley containing a coffee plantation. Then, across a small stream and immediately up an equally steep ascent, and onto a minor ridge which will take us up to the main ridge, with great views to the south-east and to the north-west. We continue along the main ridge for two kilometers until we reach the foot of a prominent, largely tree-less peak (1719m), which will then be climbed – an additional 150 metres of very steep ascent, but the view from the top, where we will have a picnic lunch, is stunning.
There are a lot of blood-sucking flies in the forest here, so we strongly advise the liberal use of insect repellent. Hike distance about 10 kms, elevation gain approximately 500m, estimated walking time about 5 hours.
Hike leader: Matsu
- If you want to join, just turn up at the meeting place on the day and on time.
- There is no need to let us know you are coming.
- We cannot accommodate groups.
Especially, for your own well-being, remember to bring:
- AT LEAST two litres of water
- Hat, sunblock
- Good footwear.
- Hiking poles, insect repellent
- Towel, extra shirt and bag for smelly shoes/socks, to keep the atmosphere nice when sharing cars on the return journey.
- 100 Baht contribution for gasoline if you will be getting a lift
- Picnic lunch, snacks
- energy, enthusiasm, and a sense of humor.
After safely reaching our vehicles, we’ll drive to our favorite watering hole, Pang Hai Coffee, for beer and other refreshments.
Filed under: All posts |