This will be an easy to moderate hike. The only tricky part is the steep climb down the north face of Doi Pui, but if the air is clear you will have great views. Otherwise we will be walking much on shady roads. As the rains have begun, do be prepared with rain gear and the possibility of a few leeches. Estimated time, including a coffee and snack or lunch break at the coffee shop is 5 hours. Optional lunch can be had at the temple parking lot on the way back down.
Hike leaders: Janet, Steve and Michael.
How to join: Please read the general information on this site, as well as this particular post. If you still think the hike is for you, then just turn up at the meeting place on the day and on time.
We will meet 7:30 for a 7:45 departure, in the car park of the Huay Kaeow Arboretum (also known as the exercise park). From there we will car-pool up to the Baan Khun Chang Khian barrier, our start and finish point.
How to go to arboretum car park:
- Head straight out from the moat 3.5 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road.
- The arboretum is on the left after the front entrance to Chiang Mai University and just before the entrance to the Zoo.
- The car park of the arboretum is at the end of the park near the zoo.
- around 1.5-2 liters of water or more, and snacks or picnic brunch
- good footwear etc. hat, insect repellent and sun-block
- spare shirt so you can change at the end, and be pleasanter in the car on the drive down
- Money for transport (THB 100 for driver if car-sharing; up to THB 200 if we need to hire a songthaew) and for any refreshments bought at the coffee shop and at the end.
- energy, team spirit, enthusiasm and a good sense of humour.