We will start at the small restaurant on the ridge in Mon Cham and go over the hill and down a dirt road into the cultivated valley. We will then turn right past a rose garden and onto Anders’ cave. This is a relatively small cave but it does have a small tunnel at the back that someone may want to investigate with a flashlight. After the cave we will continue down into the valley. On the last hike (three months ago) we saw a magnificent two metre black cobra at this stage and, with a bit of luck, hopefully he will make a cameo appearance. After negotiating our way past surly village dogs in the hamlet in the valley we will then climb up a winding road towards the top of the ridge. If time and enthusiasm permits we will investigate a new dirt road going down the far side of the ridge before looping back down to the restaurant. The hike should be a relatively short one of between three to four hours. Given the short time there will be no lunch break but there will be snack stops.
Hike Leader: Stephen R.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. Well-behaved dogs welcome. No groups please.
We will meet 07.45 am for an 08.00 start, in front of the 700-year stadium (see map), just beside the 121 irrigation canal road (not inside the stadium),
- Car-share in convoy north towards Mae Rim on routes 121 and 107.
- Turn left onto the military Mae Rim bypass road towards the Mae Rim-Samoeng (Mae Sa valley) Rd.
- Turn left onto the Mae Sa valley 1096 road towards Samoeng.
- Re-group, waiting for any stragglers in front of the Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden entrance.
- Turn off north and climb up the 4027 rural road to the Mon Jaem carpark/restaurant/viewpoint at 1,275 metres.
- Start hiking by 09.00 am. Finish hiking around by about 12.30. Most of us will probably then have lunch in our favourite local restaurant.
- Driving time between meeting point and hiking area about 45 minutes each way.
Please bring :
- at least 2 litres of water/rehydration drink
- money for restaurant lunch, and THB 100 for your driver if sharing their car.
- sunhat, sunblock, rain protection.
- energy, enthusiasm, and good humour.
- spare fresh T-shirt, frock or tux you can change into at the end, especially if you are going to be traveling home with others in a car.