This hike starts from the Huai Tung Thao reservoir park on the edge of town. We climb up the mountain onto the ridge above the lake, going first through woodland and then past upland farms and orchards. We may or may not get a nice view from up there. Then we go down, and most of us will round off the trip with drinks/meal in one of the traditional-style lakeside restaurants.
The route is the same as what we did last November (see 15/11/29 hike advertisement and 15/11/29 trip report), although the weather and vegetation conditions will be different. We will cover 12.5 km in 5-6 hours. It is very much an up-then-down thing: we climb and then descend about 900m gross (700m net). So you need to be ready for 2.5 hours of considerable aerobic effort in the first half (though we’ll try to take it slow and steady), and some testing of your knees and downhill muscles in the second half. Since it will be more or less wet the slopes will be slippery in places. But it is all on clear trails.
Meeting Point & Time.
We will meet at 7:45 am next to the Golden Buddha on the west shore of Huey Tueng Tao (See map for directions). You will need to buy a ticket to enter the lake area, 20 baht per person. Huai Tung Thao is 12 km out of town from the North East corner of the moat.
- Driving around the outside of the moat turn left onto Huay Kaeow Rd after the Chiang Mai Ram Hospital. This is the road running out from the NE corner of the moat.
- You will pass Central Kad Suan Kaeow after about 100 m on the left.
- Drive on through the Amari Rincomb intersection, to the Phucombe intersection. The Phucombe intersection is the second major 4 way, traffic lighted, intersection, it is 2 km from the moat.
- Turn right onto the Canal Road and keep going for 6.8 km.
- You will see a sign for the turn off for the Huay Tung Thao lake on the left. Turn left.
- Continue for 2.2 km to the lake. Pay 20 Baht per person at the toll booth.
- When you get to the lake turn left and go around the lake for another 1.1 km.
- You will see the large standing Buddha. We will meet near there. You made it!
After some words from our leader, we will depart at 8:00 am
If there is heavy rain the hike might be cancelled: please check this website before you leave home on Sunday morning. (If there is no update, the hike will probably be going ahead.)
If you want to join, make sure you have read the general hiking advice on this website as well as the details in this particular post. Then if you still think the hike is for you, just turn up at the meeting place on time. No need to let us know.
- at least 2 litres of water or rehydration drink
- energy snacks and/or a picnic brunch
- strong footwear with good grip and ankle support
- sticks recommended for steep downhill
- sunhat, suncreen, insect repellant
- long sleeves/pants recommended
- rainwear unless you are happy to be soaked
- plenty of energy, enthusiasm, team spirit and good humour
Hike leader: Chan
Filed under: All posts |