This is a repeat of the well known Mon Cham loop, only in reverse. We start at the small restaurant at Mon Cham and walk up to the ridge, hopefully for some nice views. Then we loop around and zigzag down into the valley and the small village populated with indifferent dogs. Then we double back slightly to view Anders’ cave and then wind our way up to the small road and back to the restaurant, completing the loop. This will be an easy hike on mainly dirt roads and with over 50% downhill and should take between three to four hours. Given the short duration there will be no lunch stop but there will be snack rests. In the event of heavy rain the hike will be cancelled. If it is cancelled, a notification will be posted here before 7AM on Sunday.
Hike Leader: Stephen R.
If you want to join
Just turn up at the meeting place on the day. Well-behaved dogs welcome. No groups please.
We will meet 07.45 am for an 08.00 start, in front of the 700-year stadium (see map), just beside the 121 irrigation canal road (not inside the stadium),
- Car-share in convoy north towards Mae Rim on routes 121 and 107.
- Turn left onto the military Mae Rim bypass road towards the Mae Rim-Samoeng (Mae Sa valley) Rd.
- Turn left onto the Mae Sa valley 1096 road towards Samoeng.
- Re-group, waiting for any stragglers in front of the Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden entrance.
- Turn off north and climb up the 4027 rural road to the Mon Jaem carpark/restaurant/viewpoint at 1,275 metres.
- Start hiking by 09.00 am. Finish hiking around by about 12.30. Most of us will probably then have lunch in our favourite local restaurant.
- Driving time between meeting point and hiking area about 45 minutes each way.
Please bring :
- at least 2 litres of water/rehydration drink
- money for restaurant lunch, and THB 100 for your driver if sharing their car.
- sunhat, sunblock, rain protection.
- energy, enthusiasm, and good humour.
- spare fresh T-shirt, frock or tux you can change into at the end, especially if you are going to be traveling home with others in a car.
Filed under: All posts