This hike is 13 km long and involves an elevation gain of 900 meters, so a reasonable level of physical fitness will be required.
We will start the hike at the irrigation office above 700-year stadium at 08.00 sharp. The trail leads us up past Porcupine Falls and then continues south-west uphill through forest for around 3 km until we reach vehicle tracks servicing an agricultural area, where we turn north-west through a mix of open land and patchy forest.
We follow the vehicle tracks for another 2 km to the highest point of the hike, a large junction just below the summit of Doi Pa Ka. Here we will stop for brunch.
The gradient up to this point is steadily uphill, but is only really steep over one short section.
From the junction we start a long descent to the helipad that overlooks Huay Thung Tao. The first section is on a vehicle track, but we soon turn onto a forest trail with some very steep downhill sections. We will briefly stop at the helipad to admire the panoramic views over Huay Thung Tao and the Chiang Mai valley.
500 meters or so after passing the helipad we turn right onto a small trail that descends into a valley, crosses a small stream and then steeply ascends the far bank to a ridge. We follow this ridge through open forest on a clear trail until we meet up with the motorcycle trail running between Huay Tung Tao and 700-year stadium. The last 2 km is along this trail, dodging backhoes and trucks working on a new housing development, back to our starting point.
Elapsed time including brunch stop is anticipated to be about 6 hours. At higher elevations the trail is mainly in shade, but the lower sections are quite open and hats and sun screen are recommended.
Hike Leaders: Richard and Mike
If you want to join:
Make sure you have read the general advice on this website as well as the specific hike details in this post. If you still think this hike is for you, just turn up at the meeting place on the day, on time. No need to inform us in advance, but we can not accommodate groups.
We will meet at 07:45 for an 08.00 hours start in the car park area for the Irrigation Department HQ next to the dam behind the 700 years Stadium. Motorcycle riders should be aware that the guards at the barrier have been instructed to exclude trial bikes and may stop you. If you tell them your purpose is walking, they will permit access.
- Head straight out from the North West corner of the moat 2 km towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaeow Road (H.1004).
- Turn right onto the Canal Road H.121
- After 4.5 km going North turn left at traffic lights into the Stadium area.
- Keep straight for about 1 km and pass through the check point after which the road goes uphill to reach the dam.
Items to bring:
- at least 2 liters of water or rehydration drink
- a picnic brunch
- strong footwear with good grip and ankle support
- hiking poles
- sunhat, sunscreen, insect repellent
- long sleeves/ pants recommended
- rainwear, unless you are happy to be soaked
- plenty of energy, team spirit, enthusiasm and good humour.
Filed under: All posts