This hike replaces one which had been advertized (Doi Pui Summit Loop) but cancelled due to slippery conditions.
The hike starts from the Golden Buddha at Huey Tueng Tao. The route follows a small canal and then turns uphill along a stream. Eventually we reach Daat Mook Waterfall which should be quite impressive with the recent rain. After a break to enjoy the scenery we will return along a different trail that descends the open slopes above Huey Tueng Tao. If conditions are favorable more energetic hikers could ascend a spur trail up to the ridge above the waterfall. After completing our hike we have the option of enjoying a delicious lunch at one of the restaurants around the north shore of Huey Tueng Tao.
Total distance about 4-5 kilometers with about 200-300 meters of elevation gain, depending on the option chosen. Time for the hike is about three to four hours with stops for snacks and water along the way.
Meeting time and place:
We will meet at 8:30 am next to the Golden Buddha on the west shore of Huey Tueng Tao (See map for directions). You will need to buy a ticket to enter the lake area, 50 baht per person last time I was there. Huey Tueng Tao is 12 km out of town from the North East corner of the moat.
Driving around the outside of the moat turn left onto Huay Kaeow Rd after the Chiang Mai Ram Hospital. This is the road running out from the NE corner of the moat.
- You will pass Central Kad Suan Kaeow after about 100 m on the left.
- Drive on through the Amari Rincomb intersection, to the Phucombe intersection. The Phucombe intersection is the second major 4 way, traffic lighted, intersection, it is 2 km from the moat.
- Turn right onto the Canal Road and keep going for 6.8 km.
- You will see a sign for the turn off for the Huey Tueng Tao lake on the left. Turn left.
- Continue for 2.2 km to the lake. Pay 50 Baht per person at the toll booth.
- When you get to the lake turn left and go around the lake for another 1.1 km.
- You will see the large standing Buddha. We will meet near there. You made it!
After some words from our leader, we will depart at 8:45 am.
If you want to join, just turn up at the meeting place on time. No need to let us know. No groups please and no unprepared hikers.
- at least 2 litres of water or rehydration drink, energy snacks and a picnic lunch
- strong legs & lungs for the climb up; sticks recommended for steep downhill
- sunhat, suncreen, insect repellant and long sleeves/pants recommended
- rain jacket in case the showers continue
- strong footwear with good grip and ankle support
- plenty of energy, enthusiasm, team spirit and good humour
Hike leaders: Michael G. and Stephen
Filed under: All posts |