As it is Christmas Day this Sunday a short local hike that does not involve much travelling is definitely “on” which will enable everyone to get back home in good time to play with their new toys, cook lunch and be merry!
There is, however, a group of intrepid explorers revisiting a recent hike to find a way of making it a loop and, if they are successful, will offer this a an alternative, all day hike. As the exploration is taking place today (Friday) all those interested should check out the site tomorrow for any updates.
Back to the confirmed hike, this is one of the popular “exercise hikes” so will be familiar to those who go on them but it is still a nice little loop. Starting at the Scout Camp we will trek up alongside a stream crossing it after a while and then a little further on we will come to a waterfall and take a short break before starting the uphill climb in earnest. After the worst of the ascent is over another, longer break will be taken before making the summit and commencing our descent, which is reasonably gentle except for the last bit but nothing too difficult.
The loop can be completed in 2hrs at a reasonable pace but we will not rush it so allow 3-4 hours. Total distance about 6km with a total ascent of 430mtrs.
If you want to join
If you are sure this hike is for you, after reading our “dangers”, “what to bring” and “what to do” tabs, just turn up at the meeting place on the day; there is no need to let us know you are coming. No groups please.
We will meet at 0850 for a 0900 start where Huay Chang Khian meets Soi Chang Khian, just before the scout camp at the end of the soi. Approx <18°49’25.24″ N 98°56’55.24″ E>
- Head out from the moat NW towards Doi Suthep on Huay Kaew Rd.
- Turn right onto the Irrigation Canal Rd opposite the Phucome Hotel.
- Take the second soi, at the next traffic lights just before the old Fine Thanks restaurant, then bear right at the Y-junction and again right at the T-junction onto Soi Chang Khian.
- Continue along the main soi, bearing left at the mini roundabout, for over 2kms, almost to the end of the soi. (Follow signs to Neo cafe and then continue past the cafe.)
See the map below (click to enlarge).
Please bring :
- at least 1-2 litres of water, and energy snacks
- strong footwear with thick tread/good grip, hat, and sunblock
- trekking pole or stick recommended for the steep descent
- long sleeves/pants recommended for long grass and spiky/itchy undergrowth
- plenty of energy, enthusiasm and good humour
Filed under: Hike Reports