A hike to work off the effects of the previous night’s festivities and break all those New Year resolutions. The hike will commence beside the Mae Pha Haen reservoir. After one kilometre of flat paths we will ascend a series of steep slopes with two short rest breaks (the second beside a shedded Cobra snake skin, if it has not decomposed over xmas). We will then climb up a six metre rock outcrop which, although not difficult, does have a drop off on one side so a guide rope will be provided. We will have lunch about 100 metres down from the Doi Lang Lo summit on the far side at a spot which has, on a clear day, impressive views of the Chiang Mai countryside. On the descent some of the steep slopes may prove slippery and if necessary a guide rope will be provided. We will hike down a series of ridges and then have a relatively flat three kilometre walk along the base of Doi Lang Lo back to the cars. The hike should take 5-6 hours and could be considered reasonably strenuous. Please note that if you have difficulty ascending/descending steep slopes or have a fear of heights then this hike is not for you. After the hike we will retire to the San Kampaeng hot springs for refreshments and a swim.
Hike Leaders: Matsu and Stephen
If you want to join:
If you want to join: just turn up at the meeting place on the day, on time. We cannot accommodate groups. Seats in cars are usually available but cannot be guaranteed.
Meeting Place: We will meet at 07:30 in front of Promenada Mall on R1317 (location marked “A” on the map below) and start on time at 07:45. We head straight out along the R1317 and move onto Mae Pha Haen reservoir.
- At least 2 liters of water,
- snacks/picnic brunch,
- good footwear
- insect repellent, sun-block if you are sensitive,
- change of clothes/plastic bag for muddy footwear for the return car journey,
- energy, team spirit, enthusiasm and a good sense of humour,
- THB100 contribution for fuel etc if you are a passenger, about THB 100 for hot springs, and something for any drinks/meal you buy.
- swimsuit, towel, change of clothes/footwear for hot springs (if you choose the option)
Filed under: All posts